Friday 25 July 2014

A quiet day

Our dinner last night was better than we expected, we wandered down to a local hotel and had a meal in the bar there which was perfectly nice.  It was a little odd though, being surrounded by couples in full wedding attire.  Gretna really is a place that thrives on the business of weddings.

I had planned a quiet day today, partly as I would be managing the side effects of my weekly medication, but also because Dumbarton is not a place with a lot to offer.  I had an easy drive apart from going through the suburbs of Glasgow, where traffic was very heavy and I got a bit nervous.  Despite that, it has to be said that I have noticed a definite improvement in my motorway driving, I've dropped a couple of bad habits I've been working on and I've got better at anticipating other drivers' manoeuvres.

I did toy with the idea of going into Glasgow and visiting the Commonwealth Games site to soak up the atmosphere, but it all seemed a bit much especially as the heat today is just as fierce as it has been for the previous days.  London readers will probably raise their eyebrows at this, but it seems it's hotter where we are than back home!

We were a bit apprehensive about the hotel, as we chose it purely on availability.  Almost all hotels in the area were fully booked due to the Games and this was all we could get.  On arrival I found it was just as grim as expected, but the staff were very friendly and a massive bonus was that a large man carried BOTH my cases to the room, which was most welcome.  My room was also ready when I arrived, so I got to eat my lunch at an actual table, sitting in an actual chair, which felt like a treat as I was getting a little weary of the chopping board in the car routine.

I spent the afternoon resting in the room, catching up on e-mails and doing some Pilates and qi gong.  I was quite content but Romeo thought it was all a bit boring and has been quite restless.  Perhaps we'll have to let him out for a run about in the car park after dinner.  I don't think he's quite forgiven me for keeping him away from the chickens in the garden at Middle Holly Cottage a few nights ago.

Oh - and Sean liked the polo shirt!  Wonders will never cease...

No comments:

Post a Comment