Wednesday 23 July 2014

Lancaster Castle and our last night in England

We had a lovely evening yesterday.  I didn't have high hopes for the Corbet Arms, as the website wasn't very inspiring, but it really exceeded my expectations.  The high point was the patio at the back which had beautiful views over the river and meadows.  I couldn't work out why I felt so at home there until I realised it reminded me of Grantchester Meadows in Cambridge.  Sean's colleague Richard was really enjoyable company and after he left us we ate our dinner outside in the evening sun, which was just bliss.  It felt like a proper date.

After a good breakfast and tea out on the patio Sean spent some time refreshing his bike while I did some qi gong gazing out over the meadows.  After such a lovely time last night I really didn't want to be parted once we went our separate ways.  I had been a bit worried about him yesterday as when we finished at Almondsbury on the previous day he seemed so worn out and I wasn't sure how he would fare.  However when he turned up at the end of the day yesterday he seemed much fresher.  Over dinner we chatted about how it was all going and he said he was getting into the rhythm of it, so it was nice to be able to wave him off today with more peace of mind.

Once I set off I started to realise that we're actually doing it - that seems odd I suppose that it should take so long to sink in, but until now it had felt just like the other weekends away we've had with the bike.  It began to dawn on me that this thing we had planned and anticipated was now happening, and for the first time I imagined what it might be like finishing.  This was a bit scary as a lot could happen between now and then, so I put such fantasies out of my mind.

I decided to go to Lancaster today and visit the castle.  As you can imagine, this was right up my street.  In medieval times the castle was used as a debtor's prison and subsequently for criminals.  It was a working Category C prison until 2012, and is still operating as the Crown Court.  Because of this, entry is by guided tour only and sadly there are very few places you're allowed to take photographs.  However the tour was excellent, big shout out to Steve our guide who really made the history come alive.  As the court was not sitting we were able to go inside and look at the chambers which were stunning.  Other highlights were the Drop Room, where the prisoners would wait alongside their empty coffin before going out onto the scaffold to be hanged, and a visit to the cells.  This included being locked in to have the full experience!  Once the door was closed it was absolutely pitch dark and I certainly wouldn't have fancied staying in there more than the minute or so before we were let out.  Before we left we paid a visit to the modern cells, where Romeo somehow escaped from my bag and decided to have a nose around.
I managed to capture him before Steve noticed, which was just as well as I might have had to leave him there.

Afterwards I had a walk around the castle area of the town, which was very picturesque,
and then headed back to Middle Holly Cottage in Forton which is where we're staying tonight.  All in all a very enjoyable day.

Oh - and tonight is the last night we'll spend in England as our next stop is just across the border in Gretna Green.

No comments:

Post a Comment